building GHC on a cluster

Jean-Marie Gaillourdet jmg at gaillourdet.net
Thu Aug 25 09:23:09 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 23.08.11 17:10, Karel Gardas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> recent "GHC build times on newer MacBook Pros?" thread makes me
> wondering if someone already attempted to build GHC on a cluster of
> machines using for example PVM GNU make[1] for this or any other tool (
> or even custom generated bin/ghc-stageX scripts using rsh?) which is
> suitable for the task. I'm asking since build of GHC HEAD on my
> ARM/Linux (OMAP4 1GHz) using both cores takes around 7 hours and yet
> buying another 3 machines might be well in the finance envelope of hobby
> project and speed the development which usually happens only during
> weekend's evenings...
>
> Thanks!
> Karel
>
> [1]: http://pvmgmake.sourceforge.net/

At least the C compilations should be easily distributable with distcc
[1]. I've had great success using it with pure C projects in the past. I
don't know if compiling the runtime system takes long enough to make
distribution wortwhile.

Regards,
   Jean

[1]: http://code.google.com/p/distcc/

--
Jean-Marie Gaillourdet

blog:                                                  gaillourdet.net
{email, xmpp, jabber, ichat, gimix, gtalk}:        jmg at gaillourdet.net