building GHC on a cluster

Karel Gardas karel.gardas at centrum.cz
Tue Aug 23 17:10:12 CEST 2011

Hello,

recent "GHC build times on newer MacBook Pros?" thread makes me
wondering if someone already attempted to build GHC on a cluster of
machines using for example PVM GNU make[1] for this or any other tool (
or even custom generated bin/ghc-stageX scripts using rsh?) which is
suitable for the task. I'm asking since build of GHC HEAD on my
ARM/Linux (OMAP4 1GHz) using both cores takes around 7 hours and yet
buying another 3 machines might be well in the finance envelope of hobby
project and speed the development which usually happens only during
weekend's evenings...

Thanks!
Karel

[1]: http://pvmgmake.sourceforge.net/