os x 64-bit?

Gregory Wright gwright at antiope.com
Wed Nov 10 10:04:59 EST 2010

Hi,

I built ghc 7.0.1-rc2 yesterday 64-bit on Snow Leopard.  Much of the work
in getting ghc to build 64-bit was done by Barney Stratford; the MacPorts
ghc 6.10.4 has built successfully in 64 bit mode for a number of months.

Until just a few weeks ago 6.12.x and HEAD wouldn't build 64-bit because
of changes in ghci.  These changes were in part to remove the limitation
that modules
loaded by ghci had to be located below the 2 GB address boundary.
Unfortunately,
they revealed code paths in ghc's Mach-O linker that were never tested. (See
bug #4318. Other bugs may be partial duplicates; the tickets probably need
to be examined to check which ones are distinct.)

The good news is that the linker patches were done just in time for 7.0.1.
You should be all set to try the release candidates on Snow Leopard 64-bit.

I built my 7.0.1-rc2 using a 64 bit 6.10.4.  My original 64-bit 6.10.4
was bootstrapped
using a 32-bit 6.10.4 compiled on Leopard.  Reports of trouble building the
7.0.1 release candidates using a 32-bit bootstrap compiler would be
especially
useful.

Best Wishes,
Greg