Feedback request: priority queues in containers

Tyson Whitehead twhitehead at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 12:10:51 EDT 2010

On March 16, 2010 09:29:06 Louis Wasserman wrote:
> I'd like to request some more feedback on the
> proposed<http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/3909>implementation
> for priority queues in containers.  Mostly, I feel like
> adding a new module to containers should be contentious, and there hasn't
> been as much griping or contention as I expected.  The silence is feeling
> kind of eerie!

Not sure if this is an appropriate question at all as I haven't looked at the
code, but would it be possible to put any primary functionality into a class.

I'm thinking something along the lines of how the vector code works.  This
allows you to use all the higher-order functions (i.e., those implemented
using the primary functions) on a different underlying implementation.

I've found this particularly useful in wrapping Perl data types.  For the Perl
array, all I had to do was write an class instance for the vector module, and
I have all these higher-order functions I could use from existing code.

It would be very nice to have had something similar to do for the hash tables.
Even to just provide a "native haskell" immutable look into the data so
Haskell code can extract the components it needs with standard functions.

Cheers!  -Tyson

PS:  I'm still working on the wrapping, so I might change my mind as to how
useful this really is, but thought I should throw it out there.