[Haskell-cafe] ghc leaking memory?

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 08:36:15 EST 2010

On 08/03/2010 13:30, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi Simon,

>> Can you verify that it is GHC leaking memory, and not gcc?  I recommend
>> turning off -fvia-C in particular unless you're sure that you need it.
>
> Sorry if I was not clear: The issues arise on “strange” architectures
> (armel, s390, sparc, mips) where, as far as I know, -fvia-C is the only
> option and thus the default. I was not setting this flag myself.

Ah, I see.

> Isn’t GHC calling gcc once for each module? In that case, that can not
> leak across modules, can it?

Right, gcc is only being invoked once per module, but the files being
sent to gcc can get quite large, particularly when profiling is enabled,
and even a single run of gcc can grow very large.  This has been more of
a problem with the newer gcc versions since they changed their memory
manager and started doing whole-module optimisations (though we do try
to disable this with -fno-toplevel-reorder, I'm not sure if that
disbales module-at-a-time compilation completely).