I accidentally the Prelude

Josef Svenningsson josef.svenningsson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 12:43:58 EST 2010

Hi,

It seems I've been able to mess up my ghc installation pretty badly.
Here is what happens if I just try to invoke ghci from the prompt:

$ ghci
GHCi, version 6.10.4: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
<command line>: module `Prelude' is not loaded
$

I have no idea what I did to end up in this situation. What I've been
doing lately is reinstalling some packages. I also have another ghc
installed but it's at a completely different place in the file system.
The only thing I can think of is if cabal managed to somehow confuse
the two ghcs and wrote some data in the wrong place.

What I really would like to know is if there is a simple way to fix
this without completely reinstalling ghc with all the libraries I have
installed. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

If this is a potential bug I'd be happy to provide any data that might
help track it down.

Cheers,

Josef