GHC core plugins

José Pedro Magalhães jpm at
Fri Jan 29 04:32:20 EST 2010

2010/1/28 Max Bolingbroke <batterseapower at>

> 2010/1/28 José Pedro Magalhães <jpm at>:
> > Yes, that helped quite a lot. One last thing: currently it takes me about
> 6
> > minutes to rebuild the compiler after I change the core pass. Are there
> any
> > tricks of the build system I can use to speed this up? I'm already using
> > fast build without optimizations and docs...
> Hmm. Some things that help with this for me are to:
> 1) Compile with -j12 (or lower, depending on your hardware spec)
> 2) Compile with "cd compiler && make stage=2" to only build the stage
> 2 compiler (if this isn't already happening). Make sure the stage 1
> compiler is built with optimisations! (I use the stage2devel
> configuration, which already does this)
> This reduces compile times to a few minutes for me. Still tedious, but
> not too bad.

Thanks. Doing this reduces compilation time to about 30s, but unfortunately
my pass is not updated (even though it is compiled). I have to do 'make
stage=2' at the root directory, not inside compiler. This brings compilation
time to 1m10s (which is still better than what I was doing), but I really
don't know what would need building outside the compiler directory...

As an aside, is there any hope of using SYB in the core pass? As a generic
programmer I quickly get tired of traversing the entire AST when I want just
a few changes in specific places...