GHC core plugins

Max Bolingbroke batterseapower at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 28 11:24:24 EST 2010

2010/1/28 José Pedro Magalhães <jpm at cs.uu.nl>:
> Yes, that helped quite a lot. One last thing: currently it takes me about 6
> minutes to rebuild the compiler after I change the core pass. Are there any
> tricks of the build system I can use to speed this up? I'm already using a
> fast build without optimizations and docs...

Hmm. Some things that help with this for me are to:
1) Compile with -j12 (or lower, depending on your hardware spec)
2) Compile with "cd compiler && make stage=2" to only build the stage
2 compiler (if this isn't already happening). Make sure the stage 1
compiler is built with optimisations! (I use the stage2devel
configuration, which already does this)

This reduces compile times to a few minutes for me. Still tedious, but
not too bad.

Hope that helps,
Max