Scriptable error messages

Herk, Robert van robert.van.herk at
Fri Jan 22 07:31:05 EST 2010

Dear Daniel,

The Utrecht work can be found at:
Helium is a Haskell subset that strives to produce more understandable error messages. The theory behind it can be found in

From: glasgow-haskell-users-bounces at [glasgow-haskell-users-bounces at] On Behalf Of Simon Peyton-Jones [simonpj at]
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2010 1:13 PM
To: Daniel Gustafsson; glasgow-haskell-users at
Subject: RE: Scriptable error messages

GHC doesn't have any way to let you "plug in" new error messages.  I imagine you mean in the type inference engine?

Can you characterise more precisely what you want, perhaps by example.

I do urge you to read the Utrecht work; they have done tremendous stuff on user-defined type rules and associated user-defined error messages.