Scriptable error messages

Herk, Robert van robert.van.herk at philips.com
Fri Jan 22 07:31:05 EST 2010

Dear Daniel,

The Utrecht work can be found at:
http://www.cs.uu.nl/wiki/bin/view/Helium/WebHome.
Helium is a Haskell subset that strives to produce more understandable error messages. The theory behind it can be found in http://people.cs.uu.nl/bastiaan/phdthesis/index.html.

Regards,
Robert

From: glasgow-haskell-users-bounces at haskell.org [glasgow-haskell-users-bounces at haskell.org] On Behalf Of Simon Peyton-Jones [simonpj at microsoft.com]
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2010 1:13 PM
To: Daniel Gustafsson; glasgow-haskell-users at haskell.org
Subject: RE: Scriptable error messages

GHC doesn't have any way to let you "plug in" new error messages.  I imagine you mean in the type inference engine?

Can you characterise more precisely what you want, perhaps by example.

I do urge you to read the Utrecht work; they have done tremendous stuff on user-defined type rules and associated user-defined error messages.

Simon