Installing syb(-0.1.03) package in head version of Haskell

Simon Marlow marlowsd at
Wed Feb 24 10:05:08 EST 2010

On 24/02/2010 14:08, Christian Maeder wrote:
> Simon Marlow schrieb:
>> On 24/02/2010 12:28, Christian Maeder wrote:
> [...]
>>> It is not sufficient for me to reinstall this package with this utf8
>>> setting. (I think ghc-pkg needs to be fixed or maybe recompiled under
>>> utf8.)
>> There was a missing hSetEncoding, so that ghc-pkg is writing this file
>> using the current locale rather than UTF-8, but reading it back as
>> UTF-8.  So I'm surprised that temporarily setting your locale to UTF-8
>> doesn't work around it - what happens?
> No idea, the last step of installing is:
> Registering syb-
> /local/maeder/bin/ghc-pkg update - --global --no-user-package-conf -v2
> The standard input passed to ghc-pkg is utf8 coded (independent of my
> LANG setting), but the output file written
> syb- is always ISO-8859.
> HTH Christian

It does, thanks.  I now realise that the code is using binary mode
accidentally, in fact it has an instance of this bug

because ghc-pkg contains a copy of the code of openTempFile.  I'll fix
it to use openTempFileWithDefaultPermissions, which does the right thing.