Installing syb(-0.1.03) package in head version of Haskell

Antoine Latter aslatter at
Tue Feb 23 15:01:23 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Christian Maeder
<Christian.Maeder at> wrote:
> Ross Paterson schrieb:
>> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 03:05:56PM -0000, Bayley, Alistair wrote:
>>> Just a wild guess, but the package description has this non-ascii text:
>>> author:                 Ralf Lämmel, Simon Peyton Jones
>>> It could well be Latin-1 encoded, rather than UTF8.
>> No, syb- is UTF-8-encoded (conforming to the Cabal docs).
> My guess would be that the "locale" is not properly set. The environment
> variable LANG should be set to something shown by "locale -a" (i.e
> en_GB). Other LC_* variables should not be set.
> The variables should not be "C" or "POSIX".
> (I was able to install syb- without a problem)
> Cheers Christian

If we're relying on the locale being set properly is the fix then to
force <insert tool here> to always read in Cabal package descriptions
as UTF-8?