Installing syb(-0.1.03) package in head version of Haskell

Jeremy Shaw jeremy at n-heptane.com
Tue Feb 23 13:41:10 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 03:05:56PM -0000, Bayley, Alistair wrote:
> > Just a wild guess, but the package description has this non-ascii text:
> >
> > author:                 Ralf Lämmel, Simon Peyton Jones
> >
> > It could well be Latin-1 encoded, rather than UTF8.
>
> No, syb-0.1.0.3/syb.cabal is UTF-8-encoded (conforming to the Cabal docs).

I had similar issues when attempting to install a new version of syb over an
old version[1]. I had to open this file in emacs:

 /usr/lib/ghc-6.13/package.conf.d/syb-0.1.0.3.conf

and the do:

M-x set-buffer-file-coding-system utf-8

I think there was a point in time where something wrote contains to that
file as latin1 instead of utf-8 or something.

- jeremy

[1] it might have actually been the same version of syb, but rebuilt with a
different version of the compiler or something..