integer-simple by default

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Mon Feb 22 18:04:24 EST 2010

Greg Fitzgerald wrote:
> Looks like they swapped out their integer implementation for Python3

Interesting! This will be new in Python 3.2 - the first changes in many
years. It's not exactly swapped out, but there are many changes.
At first glance, it looks like better 64-bit support, a new division
algorithm via floating-point, a new exponentiation algorithm
using a 5-bits-at-a-time trick in some cases, optimized Read
and Show instances (pardon the expression), a few other things.
A lot of the new stuff seems to be from HAC. As before, everything
is fully explained in expository comments inside the code, with
references; a worthwhile read. Multiplication is still the same basic
idea though - naive up to about 2000 bits, followed by just
Karatsuba and nothing more.

Thanks,
Yitz