integer-simple by default

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Sat Feb 20 14:56:53 EST 2010

On 02/20/10 14:37, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> There's also HIntegerByInt:
>      http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2007-August/007909.html
> although it would need to be changed to user lower level types etc.

that's true, (I wrote it), the current form uses a list-based
implementation with a lot of recursion and I'd have to see how well that
converts to some sort of array [at least I assume arrays are the only
reasonable storage layout...].  I used a couple algorithms to make
operations faster (at least multiplication -- I don't remember the
details) so it might be useful code to pick up again.  I have a bit of
time now, if anyone's seriously interested, I could work on haskell
integer code.  As long as I had certain standards

-what am I trying to accomplish (at least, performance-wise)?
-what might be a good low-level format? (And is it important to strew
unboxed ints all over the place, or is it fine to skip this and count on
the optimizer?)

-Isaac