integer-simple by default

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sat Feb 20 14:37:34 EST 2010

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 11:11:15AM -0800, Greg Fitzgerald wrote:

> In any case, giving GMP the boot alleviates any
> licensing concerns, makes the GHC build a little simpler, and allows
> users to create standalone executables.  Is there any reason we
> shouldn't attempt to make integer-simple the default?

I think defaulting to a Haskell Integer would be good if we can achieve
it (i.e. if we can get a library that "performs well enough", whatever
that means).

The algorithms in integer-simple may be too simple, although I don't
think I've done any timings since
    http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/601#comment:14

There's also HIntegerByInt:
    http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2007-August/007909.html
although it would need to be changed to user lower level types etc.

Thanks
Ian