Newtype deriving mixing up types

Emil Axelsson emax at chalmers.se
Thu Dec 16 14:26:23 CET 2010

Hello!

I attach a program which I suspect demonstrates a bug in GHC. The
important lines are:

   showType :: forall a . Expr a -> String
   showType (Lit _) = show (typeOf (undefined :: a))

   test1 = showType (mk     :: Expr BOOL) -- Prints "Bool" (wrong?)
   test2 = showType (Lit mk :: Expr BOOL) -- Prints "Main.BOOL" (correct)

test1 and test2 give different results, even though showType shouldn't
be able to tell them apart. It seems that the Typeable context packed
with the Lit constructor is wrong in test2.

I had to use two extra classes and newtype deriving to trigger this
behavior. Note that if I change

   deriving instance B BOOL

   instance B BOOL

the result is correct.