How to develop on a (GHC) branch with darcs

David Peixotto dmp at rice.edu
Wed Dec 8 03:42:22 CET 2010

It seems a shame that it would be so difficult to maintain a separate GHC branch. Having no long-term branches myself, I haven't yet felt the pain, but reading this email chain I am rather discouraged from attempting it.

It makes sense to me to have tool support for branching and merging in a large open source project like GHC and doing so could increase the number of people interested in maintaining active branches. I would certainly support a move to git.

P.S.
Apparently Linus used to use Lennart's method of diff and patch for version control before switching to bitkeeper and then git: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8 about 10:30 minutes in. I guess it's a sign of a true hacker :)