6.12.1 Release Candidate: profiling and libHSffi_p.a

Neil Brown nccb2 at kent.ac.uk
Fri Oct 16 11:17:11 EDT 2009

I tried profiling a program with the GHC 6.12 release candidate.  I got

$ ghc -O1 -prof -auto-all --make CommsTime.hs
[1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( CommsTime.hs, CommsTime.o )
Linking CommsTime ...
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lHSffi_p
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Googling turned up this link, which suggests this problem was fixed
earlier this year:

$ find ~ -iname "libHSffi*"

This seems to indicate that the library is built
(/home/nccb2/ghc- is where I built GHC) but not installed
on my system.  This is a Debian 32-bit system, and I don't remember
passing any options to the GHC configure command besides --prefix.