6.10.4 plans

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Thu May 21 04:26:42 EDT 2009

On 21/05/2009 00:38, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> Hi all,
> Unfortunately, since the release of 6.10.3, still more problems have
> come to light in the 6.10 branch. We are therefore planning to do a
> 6.10.4 release.
> For 6.10.4, we will only consider fixes for serious bugs that cannot be
> easily worked around. So far, we plan to look into:
> * One of the patches in 6.10.2 introduced a problem where
>    mkWeakForeignEnv# could segfault
>    (already fixed)
> * readMutVar# is inlined/duplicated
>    http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/3207
>    (already fixed, patch waiting to be merged)
> * "Permission denied" errors on Windows:
>    http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/3231
>    http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/2924

Not #2924 (we don't know the cause of that one yet).  But #2650 is related:

> * Some ghci tests fail with hLookAhead errors. We would like to at least
>    understand exactly what is going on here.
> If you find any other bugs that you think we should look into for
> 6.10.4, please let us know.

Also the problem that causes a GHC build to fail on Windows when you
have recent versions of the MSYS binutils (more recent than the ones we
recommend in the building guide).

Wed May 20 04:16:26 PDT 2009  Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com>
   * remove msvcrt and kernel32 from extra-libraries

Wed May 20 04:16:39 PDT 2009  Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com>
   * remove kernel32 from extra-libraries

Wed May 20 05:43:10 PDT 2009  Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com>
   * Windows: load msvcrt and kernel32 manually