ghc 6.10.3-prerelease failed build log for freebsd7.2

brad clawsie clawsie at
Mon May 4 23:55:40 EDT 2009

Judah Jacobson <judah.jacobson at> writes:

> It looks like the problem occurs when building Haskeline:
> Configuring haskeline-
> checking whether to use -liconv... using -liconv.
> Setup: Missing dependency on a foreign library:
> * Missing C library: iconv
> The problem is that Cabal isn't getting the right argument to look for
> iconv in (I'm guessing) /usr/local/lib.

yeah, when i installed haskeline via cabal, i had to set the flags to
look at these dirs in order to get it built

> (Strangely, the Haskeline custom Setup.hs script which detects whether
> to use iconv is itself succeeding; I should compare the two and see
> what's different...)
> Normally this can be fixed by building Haskeline with the Cabal
> arguments --extra-include-dirs, --extra-lib-dirs; but I don't know how
> they can be passed through by to the ghc build system.
> Can you please try, with your working ghc-6.10.2:
> cd into libraries/haskeline of the release candidate source directory, run
> runghc Setup configure --user -v3

$ cd libraries/haskeline/
$ runghc Setup configure --user -v3
Configuring haskeline-
Creating dist (and its parents)
searching for ghc in path.
found ghc at /home/brad/local/bin/ghc
/home/brad/local/bin/ghc is version 6.10.2
looking for package tool: ghc-pkg near compiler in /home/brad/local/bin
found package tool in /home/brad/local/bin/ghc-pkg
/home/brad/local/bin/ghc-pkg is version 6.10.2
Reading installed packages...
Setup: At least the following dependencies are missing:
ghc-mtl ==1.1.*

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (FreeBSD)