ghc 6.10.3-prerelease failed build log for freebsd7.2

Judah Jacobson judah.jacobson at
Mon May 4 11:50:40 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 11:02 PM, brad clawsie <clawsie at> wrote:
> hi
> after some trying, i was unable to get the 6.10.3 prerelease to build on
> freebsd 7.2. i was trying to use an existing 6.10.2 as my build ghc.
> i saved the output of the entire build from ./configure to the point of
> failure. it is too long too attach here, you can see it at:
> it is about 4.4mb
> thanks
> brad

It looks like the problem occurs when building Haskeline:

Configuring haskeline-
checking whether to use -liconv... using -liconv.
Setup: Missing dependency on a foreign library:
* Missing C library: iconv

The problem is that Cabal isn't getting the right argument to look for
iconv in (I'm guessing) /usr/local/lib.

(Strangely, the Haskeline custom Setup.hs script which detects whether
to use iconv is itself succeeding; I should compare the two and see
what's different...)

Normally this can be fixed by building Haskeline with the Cabal
arguments --extra-include-dirs, --extra-lib-dirs; but I don't know how
they can be passed through by to the ghc build system.

Can you please try, with your working ghc-6.10.2:
cd into libraries/haskeline of the release candidate source directory, run

runghc Setup configure --user -v3

and send the output.