Cygwin version

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 12:25:21 EDT 2009

Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
>>> Mingw-bootstrap, source, or both?
>> Tried with both. Got:
>>
>>     ghc.exe: unknown package: unix
>
> With './configure  --build=i686-pc-cygwin32 --with-gcc=c:/cygwin/bin/gcc
> --with-ld=c:/cygwin/bin/ld' I got to the point:
>
> ../compiler/ghc-inplace -optc-mno-cygwin -optc-O -optc-Wall -optc-W
> -optc-Wstrict-prototypes -optc-Wmissing-prototypes
> -optc-Wmissing-declarations -optc-Winline -optc-Waggregate-return
> -optc-Wbad-function-cast -optc-I../includes -optc-I. -optc-Iparallel
> -optc-DCOMPILING_RTS -optc-fomit-frame-pointer -optc-fno-strict-aliasing
> -H16m -O -optc-O2 -static -I. -#include HCIncludes.h -fvia-C -dcmm-lint
> -c Adjustor.c -o Adjustor.o
> make: *** [Adjustor.o] Error 1
>
> The stage1 ghc-inplace doesn't seem to be able to produce neither code
> nor an error message. It just fails. It also isn't a cygwin program
> according to ldd; should it be?

You're doing a *port* here, to create a GHC that can generate Cygwin
binaries, using a GHC that generates MinGW binaries to bootstrap from.
This isn't something you should expect to work out of the box :-)

For a start, you should set your platforms like this:

   build  = i386-unknown-mingw32
   host   = i386-unknown-mingw32
   target = i386-unknown-cygwin32

It looks like your stage1 compiler is crashing, but I have no idea why.

If you're really interested in getting this working, expect to have to do a
lot of hacking in GHC's internals, build system, and libraries.  We're here
to help, of course.