Loop unrolling + fusion ?

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Mon Mar 9 09:32:58 EDT 2009

>> {-# INLINE f PEEL n #-}
>>   inline calls *into* recursive f (called loop peeling for loops)
>> {-# INLINE f UNROLL m #-}
>>   inline recursive calls to f *inside* f (called loop unrolling for
>> loops)
>>
>> {-# INLINE f PEEL n UNROLL m #-}
>>   combine the previous two
>
> The problem here is that this only works for directly recursive
> functions which I, for instance, don't normally use in high-
> performance code. Most of my loops are pipelines of collective
> combinators like map, filter, fold etc. because these are the ones
> that can be fused automatically. Unless I'm misunderstanding
> something, this approach doesn't handle such cases.

Actually, my first sketch had a problem in that it would work
only too well for mutually recursive functions, making it necessary
to use loop breakers in spite of the explicit limits (even if we limit
unroll to direct recursion, as I intended originally, peeling would
then apply to the calls into other functions in the recursion).

One way out would be to treat the whole mutual recursion as a
single entity, either implicitly, as I indicated, or explicitly, as I
interpret Brandon's somewhat ambiguous comment. In other
words, the peel/unroll limits would apply to a whole group of
mutually recursive definitions, ensuring termination of the inline
process without additional loop breakers. If we do that, then
it might make sense to talk about peeling/unrolling wrt the whole
recursion group.

In any case, I need to refine my spec!-) But this discussion is
very helpful in finding the issues that need to be addressed and
clarified. Another issue that I ran into in manual unrolling is that
I sometimes want to unroll wrt a specific parameter of a multi-
parameter function, usually because that parameter can only
have a very small numer of possible values, or just because the
original function encodes multiple loops that I want to disentangle.

Claus