Cygwin version

Simon Marlow marlowsd at
Mon Mar 9 08:19:59 EDT 2009

Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
> On 2009-03-08, John Meacham <john at> wrote:
>> if you follow those steps, but then don't override the host in the
>> ./configure step to just let it pick up the cygwin environment will it
>> work properly?
>>         John
> No:
>     Configuring extensible-exceptions-
>     cabal-bin.exe: Cannot find the program 'ghc' at
>     '/c/bin/ghc-' or on the path
> 'ldd libraries/cabal-bin.exe' finds no cygwin dependencies;
> everything points to /c/WINDOWS/system32. I presume that
> the mingw-ghc used the include mingw gcc, not cygwin's gcc.
> Indeed, I tried deleting that file, and got:
>     ghc.exe: could not execute: C:\bin\ghc-\gcc
> It doesn't seem like it will build cygwin programs.

There's no fundamental reason why there can't be a "real" Cygwin GHC (that
is, a GHC producing binaries that are linked against the Cygwin DLL).
Indeed it used to work, a long time ago.  But due to lack of demand it

I imagine it would be a fair amount of work to get it going again, but of
greater concern to me is how we would *keep* it working: there needs to be
interested people actively maintaining buildbots and catching bitrot as it
happens.  Without a sustainable process, there isn't a great deal of point
in updating the port.