space leak due to optimisations and/or newtypes

Sebastian Fischer sebf at informatik.uni-kiel.de
Thu Jun 4 08:33:00 EDT 2009

On Jun 4, 2009, at 11:42 AM, Simon Marlow wrote:

> Those two [1..] ring alarm bells.  GHC will happily combine them
> with CSE and possibly also lift them to the top-level; both
> transformations might have a big impact on space behaviour.
>
> Try with -fno-full-laziness and/or -fno-cse.

I did and found no difference when using any or both of these flags.

I have just submitted a ticket:

It seems the problem is not related to newtypes. Also in the original
program with newtypes the memory requirements only depend on whether I
use -O.

Cheers,
Sebastian

--
Underestimating the novelty of the future is a time-honored tradition.
(D.G.)