"Could not deduce (MArray (STUArray s) Int (ST s)) from context ()" when applying runST

David Menendez dave at zednenem.com
Tue Jul 21 18:53:15 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 5:30 PM, Christian Klauser<ch27k89 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm in the process of learning haskell and came across this problem:
>
> Using `Glasgow Haskell Compiler, Version 6.10.4, for Haskell 98, stage 2
> booted by GHC version 6.10.1`
>
> Common beginning of the file
> ============================
>    {-# LANGUAGE FlexibleContexts #-}
>
>    module UPSO where
>
>    import Control.Monad(forM,forM_)
>    import Control.Monad.ST.Lazy (ST,runST)

This works if I replace Control.Monad.ST.Strict instead of
Control.Monad.ST.Lazy.

The problem is that the MArray instances are declared for the strict
ST monad; there appear to be no corresponding instances for the lazy
ST monad.

--
Dave Menendez <dave at zednenem.com>
<http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/>