Questions regarding uvector 0.1.0.3

Tyson Whitehead twhitehead at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 00:00:00 EST 2009

I've been looking at uvector and had some questions (hopefully this is the
right mailing list for this, if not, sorry, and please direct me properly).

First, is there any design thing deeper than just supporting things like the
unit and pair arrays for layering UArr on top of the underlying BUArr?

Second, the STG code and the native and via-C assembler generated by ghc 6.8.2
with -O2 for

test :: UArr Int -> Int -> Int
test = indexU

where

indexU :: UA e => UArr e -> Int -> e
indexU arr n = indexS (streamU arr) n

is a loop that simultaneously increments the offset while decrementing the
index until it reaches the desired position.

If I understand correctly, this indexU definition was used instead of just
bring indexU from UArr into scope in order to cancel any possible unstreamU in
arr, and this is a big part of the whole streamU/unstreamU magic.  It replaces
what would other require N^2 rules to avoid a bunch of temporaries with one.

I wonder if a rule code be added to change any outstanding "indexS (streamU
arr) n" into an UArr indexU after streamU/unstreamU fusion?  Such rules for
each of these type of functions (i.e., ones that aren't of the form "=
unstreamU . ...") would also not be N^2 and would eliminate temporary streams.

Thanks!  -Tyson

PS:  Nice code by the way.  : )