How bad is the PowerPC backend?

Tim Chevalier catamorphism at
Mon Feb 9 22:13:42 EST 2009

On 2/9/09, David Brown <haskell at> wrote:
>  Which CPU is the x86?  The modern x86 CPUs (such as Core2) will be
>  significantly faster than the PowerPC, even at comparable clock rates.
>  Have you just compared even C code tests?

I think that goes a long way towards explaining it... a simple C loop
that I tried runs for 4.5s on the PC and 30s on the Mac. So probably
this isn't GHC's fault.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Tim Chevalier * * Often in error, never in doubt
"In fact, a sense of essence is, in essence, the essence of sense, in
effect."  -- Douglas Hofstadter