(alpha) "stick shift" cabal install for GHC 6.12.1

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Fri Dec 18 03:09:15 EST 2009

Dave Bayer wrote:

> There's clearly something wrong with this picture. A Rorschach blot
> test as to what's wrong, but I see people overreaching, if I have to
> wait weeks for a simple install tool, then months for the Haskell
> Platform to be ready.

Hopefully future GHC releases will go more smoothly as far as having
cabal-install ready is concerned. But generally I think it's right to
have a gap between a GHC major release and the corresponding HP release,
in which to plan and manage any migration required. In that gap only
library authors and users who don't mind some breakage would be expected
to use the new GHC.

Cheers,

Ganesh