ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.12.1

Jost Berthold berthold at Mathematik.Uni-Marburg.de
Mon Dec 14 14:04:02 EST 2009

Luca,

to use Control.Parallel, you need to download and install two packages,
deepseq and parallel, from hackage.haskell.org.
Most likely this will work with cabal, or you just download the two
tarballs .

The reason is, when packaging "parallel", this package has been removed
from the GHC core libraries. BTW I am unsure whether this is at all
clever, since it needs specific GHC support (at least for now - am I
right here?)

In addition, be informed that Control.Parallel.Strategies has been
heavily restructured just last month (splitting it into deepseq and
parallel is one of the changes, but not the most fundamental).
If you want to try examples from GpH publications, you will certainly
have some problems. parallel-1.x versions containing the original
definitions are on hackage as well and should work for experiments.

Cheers
Jost Berthold

PS: Loading Control.Parallel into ghci is a handy debugging procedure
for the sequential parts of your program without any hassle, but if you
do not compile and link your program, it will not use any parallelism
(and run slow anyway).