Running GHC 6.10.* on OpenBSD

Karel Gardas karel.gardas at centrum.cz
Sat Dec 12 03:22:56 EST 2009

Thanos Tsouanas wrote:
> Hello list.
>
> Up to now I've only used binary versions of GHC, but since
> my operating system's (OpenBSD) version of GHC is
> lagging behind (currently at 6.6.1), I need to update it.
> I tried using my system's ghc-6.6.1 to compile ghc-6.10.4
> but it failed due to haskeline not being installed (and trying
> to install it also failed).

Hello,

it's already a long time since I installed ghc-6.10.3.20090530 on my
OpenBSD/amd64, but IIRC I really used system provided compiler and IIRC
I somehow managed to first install everything what's required on system
provided 6.6.1 to compile 6.10. I'm not sure if I went step by step
6.6.1->6.8.3->6.10.3 as you try. Anyway I'm writing just to let you know
that it was somehow possible in the past and that you shall perhaps
concentrate on why it fails on your box. IMHO cross-compilation is no go
in this case since I hope I'm right assuming this is not supported in
6.10, but was fixed in 6.12 again.

In the worst case I can provide you my binary if your platform is the
same, but it's 300MB unpacked tree so it'll take some time to pack and
upload somewhere for you.

Good luck!
Karel