6.10-candidate tested

Christian Maeder Christian.Maeder at dfki.de
Wed Sep 24 13:18:28 EDT 2008

Serge D. Mechveliani wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 05:32:51PM +0200, Christian Maeder wrote:
>> Do you have libedit on your linux machine (because I haven't)?
>>

> I do not know what is  libedit  and where to find it.

It's the library needed for editline
http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/editline

editline is the replacement of readline.
http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/readline

> 1. ghc-pkg list   does not show the  editline  package.
> 2. The arrow keys and backspace do not work in  ghci.
> This is so -- on my machine, under Debian Linux.

The advantage is ghci works without editline and readline. The
disadvantage is if you want arrow keys and backspace to work, you should
have installed http://www.thrysoee.dk/editline/ first.

> Is this due to some deficiency in Debian Linux installation or this is
> a bug in the GHC installation?

A (debian) package manager could install editline (and gmp) before ghc.
(Unfortunately user programs may depend on those extra libraries, too.)

Christian