Debian stable not supported?

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Mon Sep 22 09:37:46 EDT 2008

Hi Roman,

Roman Cheplyaka wrote:
> I think I'll face with the similar problem in the nearest future, except
> I have far more old system. So I'll be very greatful if you provide the
> instructions and record your experience.

OK, here's a brief summary of what I did.
I hope I'm not forgetting anything.
(Looks like I may need to do this again soon for 6.10,
unless they support Debian stable this time.)

On a Debian testing system with some disk space:

1. Install the cdebootstrap package.
2. cdebootstrap --flavour=build etch JAIL http:://your.debian.mirror
   where JAIL is the path to a new directory that will now be created,
   and http://your.domain.mirror is the URL to your favorite Debian mirror.
3. Download the GHC 6.8.3 source tarball (ghc-6.8.3-src.tar.bz2)
   and put it in JAIL/root/.
4. Become root.
5. cd JAIL/root
6. chroot ..

You are now root in a simulated copy of the etch distribution.

7. apt-get update
8. apt-get install ghc6
9. tar xjvf ghc-6.8.3-src.tar.bz2
10. cd ghc-6.8.3
11. ./configure
12. make
13. Go to sleep. Wake up the next morning - it's done.
14. make install
15. ^D to exit the chroot jail. ^D again to exit the root shell.

You are now yourself again.

16. cd JAIL
17. tar cjvf ghc-6.8.3-etch.tar.bz2 usr/local/bin
usr/local/lib/ghc-6.8.3 usr/local/share/doc/ghc
18. Upload ghc-6.8.3-etch.tar.bz2 to your target etch machine.

Now, on the target etch machine:

19. cd /
20. sudo tar xjvf /path/to/ghc-6.8.3-etch.tar.bz2
21. Make sure that /usr/local/bin is in your PATH by default.

Regards,
Yitz