ANNOUNCE: GHC 6.10.1 beta

Christian Maeder Christian.Maeder at
Mon Sep 22 09:32:40 EDT 2008

Ian Lynagh wrote:
> Right now we have the source bundles:

I've tried to build a binary dist on x86 under Solaris and did not succeed.

"make binary-dist" failed with

for FILE in     ; do if [ -e $FILE ]; then echo
ghc-$FILE >>
; fi; done
/bin/sh: syntax error at line 1: `;' unexpected
gmake[1]: *** [binary-dist] Error 2

I added "strip" to
ifneq "$(strip $(BINDIST_EXTRAS))" ""

/bin/sh: test: argument expected
gmake[1]: *** [binary-dist] Error 1

-e does not work for test under "sh", so I changed it to "-r":
... if [ -r $$FILE ]; then ...

tar hcf /export/local1/home/maeder/haskell/ghc-
20080921-i386-unknown-solaris2.tar -T
tar: -T: No such file or directory
gmake: *** [binary-dist] Error 1

I changed tar to gtar

gtar: ghc-{}: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

The file bindist-list contained "{}" instead of filenames, so I changed
find to gfind.

5. When trying to install the binary distribution I got:

Installing executable(s) in /local/home/maeder/bin
installPackage: dist-install/build/installPackage/installPackage:
copyFile: does not exist (No such file or directory)
gmake[2]: *** [install] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory
gmake[1]: *** [install.installPackage] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory
gmake: *** [install] Error 2

and I gave up.

Cheers Christian

P.S. I hope the OpenSPARC project will work under Solaris and sort out
the above issues. (Validating under Solaris would be a good idea, too.)