ANNOUNCE: GHC 6.10.1 beta

Ian Lynagh igloo at
Sun Sep 21 20:35:43 EDT 2008

We are pleased to announce that the GHC snapshot is a
beta release of GHC 6.10.1.

You can download snapshots from here:

Right now we have the source bundles:

Only the first of these is necessary. The "extralibs" package contains
various extra packages that we normally supply with GHC - unpack the
extralibs tarball on top of the source tree to add them, and they will
be included in the build automatically.

There is also currently an installer for i386/Windows, and a binary
distribution for x86_64/Linux. More may appear later.

There are a couple of known problems with the x86_64/Linux bindist:
* It uses whereas some distributions (e.g. Debian) only
* It installs utilities like unlit in the wrong place, so compiling
  literate code won't work.
If you install from source then you won't hit either of those problems.

Please test as much as possible; bugs are much cheaper if we find them
before the release!

We hope to have release candidates followed by a release in around 3
weeks time, but of course that may slip if problems are uncovered.

Ian, on behalf of the GHC team