Building ghc-6.10 with ghc-6.6.1

Bertram Felgenhauer bertram.felgenhauer at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 20 11:56:22 EDT 2008

Hi,

I've successfully built ghc-6.10 with ghc-6.6.1; there was one minor
problem:

Building extensible-exceptions-0.1.0.0...
Control/Exception/Extensible.hs:2:13: cannot parse LANGUAGE pragma

ghc 6.6.1 does not know about DeriveDataTypeable - I just removed that
line.

Software used:

  ghc-6.6.1
  alex 2.2
  happy 1.17
  Cabal 1.4.0.1   (not relevant, I believe)
  gcc 4.1.2       (may be relevant because of cpp)
  linux 2.6.24.4

I'm not sure what Magicloud's problem is, but it's related to alex;
the contents of  .../alex-2.3/AlexTemplate-ghc  (whereever alex was
installed) would be interesting -- does it contain any lines
starting with # ?

This template is generated from templates/GenericTemplate.hs while
building alex.

Another idea is that {-# OPTIONS -fglasgow-exts -cpp #-} is somehow
missing from the generated  utils/genprimopcode/Lexer.hs  file in
the ghc tree - but I can't really see how that would happen.

Bertram