[Haskell-cafe] I do not want to be a bitch, but ghc-6.8.3 and haskell binary policy are really horrible.

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 07:01:14 EDT 2008

Hello Thomas,

> The issue is binary compatibility.  At the moment, GHC cannot make
> sure that a library compiled with an older GHC can work with a newer
> GHC.  GHC does many cross-module optimisations, and its runtime system
> changes occasionally, so it is very pessimistic in that regard.  This
> becomes an issue for packages that GHC has been build with itself
> (like base, process, array), since these cannot be upgraded without
> recompiling GHC (hence requiring recompiling every other package).

is this correct? i was under impression that upgrading packages never
require to recompile GHC itself. it just happen that we have only one
version of base or array shipped with each GHC and at least with array
this can be changed easily (and for base too - just noone plans to do
it)

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com