A wiki page for managing the 6.10 handover

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Sat Oct 11 13:54:10 EDT 2008

bulat.ziganshin:
> Hello Don,
>
> Saturday, October 11, 2008, 9:21:47 PM, you wrote:
> > It collects the 7 or so known issues that break code with GHC 6.10.
>
> i've quickly tried to compile my app with 6.10 (using base4). all the
> problems i got was due to exception handling. catch, finally, throwIO
> doesn't work
>
> added to wiki

The fix for exception handling and friends is to add a dependency on
base-3,

    http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Upgrading_packages#Adding_base-3_constraints

If you build your app with cabal-install, it will work this out for you,
otherwise, you need to add something like

     --constraint="base<4"

if you use runhaskell, or

    --package base-3.0.3.0

if you use ghc --make.