thread/socket behvior

Jeff Polakow jeff.polakow at db.com
Thu Oct 9 14:53:18 EDT 2008

We have a server that accepts messages over a socket, spawning threads to
process them. Processing these messages may cause other, outgoing
connections, to be spawned. Under sufficient load, the main server loop
(i.e. the call to accept, followed by a forkIO), becomes nonresponsive.

A smaller distilled testcase reveals that when sufficient socket activity
is occurring, an incoming connection may not be responded to until other
connections have been cleared out of the way, despite the fact that these
other connections are being handled by separate threads. One issue that
we?ve been trying to figure out is where this behavior arises from-- the
GHC rts, the Network library, the underlying C libraries.

Have other GHC users doing applications with large amounts of socket usage
observed similar behavior and managed to trace back where it originates
from? Are there any particular architectural solutions that people have
found to work well for these situations?

thanks,
  Jeff

---

e-mail is strictly forbidden.