planning for ghc-6.10.1 and hackage

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 3 12:56:00 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 12:53 -0400, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> > If we see a dependency like "base >= 3" with no upper limit, we
> > should satisfy it with base-3 in preference to base-4, on the
> > grounds that the package is much more likely to build with base-3.
> > This seems to be a solution that works without any magic shims or
> > "preference files" or anything else.
>

> Choose the lowest available version that satisfies all of the
> constraints?

Unfortunately this is the opposite of people normal (mostly reasonable)
expectations. Perhaps you mean the highest revision of the lowest major
version. Again this requires giving a semantics to the version numbers,
which is just what the versioning policy does (for packages that have
opted in).

Duncan