ghci-haskeline (was: Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.10.1 - EditLine / terminal incompatibility?)

Judah Jacobson judah.jacobson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 18:49:24 EST 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 2:27 AM, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Judah Jacobson wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 7:16 AM, Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li> wrote:
>>>
>>> Although another option would be to make GHCi a separate (GPL) frontend
>>> to the (BSD) GHC API. The only downside is that (with static linking) we
>>> have another large binary. Another upside is that other GHC API users
>>> don't get an editline dependency.
>>
>> I've actually been experimenting with something similar:
>>
>> darcs get http://code.haskell.org/~judah/ghci-haskeline/
>>
>> If you have ghc-6.10.1, 'cabal install'ing inside that repo will give
>> you a version of ghci which uses Haskeline as its backend.
>>
>> Basically, I copied 4 modules from the GHC source tree (GhciMonad,
>> InteractiveUI, GhciTags and Main) and modifed them to use Haskeline;
>> the rest of GHC is obtained through the API.
>
> BTW, your LICENSE file looks like it was copied from the GHC source tree, it
> still has various references to GHC and the University of Glasgow.

The vast majority of code in that project is copied directly from the
GHC source tree, and any changes I've made are intended to be merged
back into GHC (or a ghci subproject); so I thought it easiest just to
keep the code under the same license and copyright.  Is there a better
way to do this?

-Judah