ghci-haskeline (was: Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.10.1 - EditLine / terminal incompatibility?)

Christos Chryssochoidis c.chryssochoidis at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 14:33:18 EST 2008

Hello,

2008/11/21 John O'Donnell <jtod at dcs.gla.ac.uk>:
> Simon says...
>
>> Could we reduce GHC's surface area by just using haskeline and dumping
>> readline/editline support altogether?
>
> I'm in favor of doing this.  For portability and consistency, it's better
> to have just one version that is unencumbered by these license issues,
> as long as it works on the main platforms (including Macintosh - has that
> been tested?).

It works very well on my Mac. Both tab completion of quoted filenames
in Haskell expressions and of unicode identifiers works well. (It
doesn't complete non-latin file names, but I can live with that.)

I've also noticed that with haskeline one can type in ghci non-latin
characters, as was the case before, with readline, but not anymore
with editline.

Hope it helps

C.Chryssochoidis