ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.10.1 - EditLine / terminal incompatibility?

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Thu Nov 20 10:16:29 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 01:52:12PM +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:

> My selfish suggestion is that we maintain the readline configuration and
> let the people who originally wanted editline support do the work to
> maintain that configuration.

Those people are GHC HQ: readline is GPL (not LGPL), so if GHC wants to
be BSD then it can't use it.

Although another option would be to make GHCi a separate (GPL) frontend
to the (BSD) GHC API. The only downside is that (with static linking) we
have another large binary. Another upside is that other GHC API users
don't get an editline dependency.

Thanks
Ian