ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.10.1 - EditLine / terminal incompatibility?

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 20 08:52:12 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 12:51 +0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
> Duncan Coutts wrote:

> > What I really think is that we should add back optional readline
> > support. People building closed source ghc binaries would not use it but
> > linux distros could enable it and provide a better "out of the box"
> > experience. As I understand it there would be no licencing problems with
> > that approach.
>
> One downside I can see is that it gives us an extra configuration to test
> and maintain.  It's hard enough keeping one line-editing binding working,
> let alone two!
>
> It's true that editline seems to have brought a bunch of headaches with it,
> though.  Perhaps Haskelline is the way to go in the future.

My selfish suggestion is that we maintain the readline configuration and
let the people who originally wanted editline support do the work to
maintain that configuration. I get the feeling they don't care about if
it works well, just that it's got the license they want (which is a
perfectly reasonable position).

Duncan