more libedit.so.0 issues

James Swaine james.swaine at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 01:41:10 EST 2008

We've had unbelievable problems getting past this ridiculous 'unable to load
object file or shared library libedit.so.0' error when attempting to build
the 6.10.1 source tree.  We initially just built editline in a user
directory and attempted to manipulate environment variables to help the
linker (e.g. setting LIBRARY_PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and CPATH) - but this
did no good.

We then just installed the editline package so it's available globally and
the libraries (specifically libedit.so.0) live in /usr/local/lib, so it
should be found with no problem.  Not so for ghc - same error.  We're
running this on Red Hat.

I'm part of a research group at Northwestern University that is exploring
the use of ghc and associated libraries for some upcoming projects.  It's a
shame that this is so difficult to even compile/install, and nobody seems to
be able to figure out what's wrong.