Notes on building 6.10.1

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 13 18:23:10 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 12:39 -0500, Gregory Wright wrote:

> Should cabal produce and error or a warning if hsc2hs is not found in
> the same directory as the compiler?  I suggest an error by default,
> but not if --with-hsc2hs is given explicitly.

I don't think so. In principle hsc2hs is not tied to ghc, it just
happens to be shipped with it. The versions do not need to match up
(much). It's in the same category as other pre-processors like c2hs.

For the ghc build system, either it really does need an external hsc2hs
in which case it should detect it in the top level configure script or
it can use the one it ships with in which case it should be using the
--with-hsc2hs flag.

Duncan