ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.10.1 - EditLine / terminal incompatibility?

Reiner Pope reiner.pope at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 21:40:28 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 01:49:43AM +0000, Ian Lynagh wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 12:33:57PM -0800, Judah Jacobson wrote:
>> >
>> > bind "\e[3~" ed-delete-next-char
>>
>> It's a shame this doesn't just work out of the box in an xterm, on
>
> Oh, the other thing I meant to say is that it seems to behaves
> unexpectedly too. If I type "abc" and press delete, then the "c" is
> deleted and the cursor is left on (on, not after) the "b". I'd expect
> the "c" to remain, and the cursor to stay after the "c".
>

> Thanks
> Ian

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is Emacs' fault, but when I run GHCi through
Emacs, entered text is printed to stdout or stderr immediately after
Enter is pressed; when this is done after a file is loaded, "^J" is
appended. For example

>GHCi, version 6.10.1: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
>Prelude> :t id
>:t id
>id :: a -> a
>Prelude> :l Pair.hs
>:l Pair.hs
>[1 of 1] Compiling Pair             ( Pair.hs, interpreted )
>Ok, modules loaded: Pair.
>*Pair> :t id
>:t id^Jid :: a -> a
>*Pair>

Note that this happens even without haskell-mode, using just M-x shell.

I'm using Ubuntu 8.10, GHC 6.10.1. I symlinked libedit.so.0 to
libedit.so.2 as Simon Marlow suggested. It works fine in
gnome-terminal, but not in Emacs.

Cheers,
Reiner