ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.10.1 - EditLine / terminal incompatibility?

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 7 07:36:07 EST 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 12:13 +0100, Philip K.F. Hölzenspies wrote:

> It seems editline has some incompatibility with my terminal. Maybe, I should
> configure something differently, but any and all of the control characters I
> type and work for all readline based (and all custom line-readers I have come
> across), but not for the new ghci. Most annoying is the fact that backspace
> doesn't work (instead, the control sequence ^? is printed and pressing enter
> results in "lexical error at character '\DEL'"). However, arrow keys (left
> ^[[D, up ^[[A, right ^[[C and down ^[[B) and common Ctrl+_ combinations (^d,
> ^e, ^a) also give similar errors. It is striking that the lexer does
> recognize them as the correct characters (printed error messages doe say
> \DEL, \EOT, \ENQ, etc).

I get some working and some non-working. Eg backspace, del, home, end
work, but the ctl-left/ctl-right to jump words does not.

Does anyone know how libedit is supposed to be configured? readline
uses /etc/inputrc but libedit either does not or doesn't understand all
of it.

/me wonders if it was really necessary to switch from readline

Duncan