ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.10.1 - EditLine / terminal incompatibility?

Philip K.F. Hölzenspies p.k.f.holzenspies at utwente.nl
Fri Nov 7 06:13:04 EST 2008

Dear Ian, all,

After the announcement, I downloaded and installed the final release of
6.10.1. At some prior stage, I used the RC1 release, which had the same bug,
but I had generally assumed it to be an RC-phenomenon. Which bug? Well...

It seems editline has some incompatibility with my terminal. Maybe, I should
configure something differently, but any and all of the control characters I
type and work for all readline based (and all custom line-readers I have come
across), but not for the new ghci. Most annoying is the fact that backspace
doesn't work (instead, the control sequence ^? is printed and pressing enter
results in "lexical error at character '\DEL'"). However, arrow keys (left
^[[D, up ^[[A, right ^[[C and down ^[[B) and common Ctrl+_ combinations (^d,
^e, ^a) also give similar errors. It is striking that the lexer does
recognize them as the correct characters (printed error messages doe say
\DEL, \EOT, \ENQ, etc).

I'm using xterm (X.Org 6.8.99.903(229)) on an OpenSuSE 10.3 system and the
default termcap settings. Any clues? Is this bug known?

Regards,
Philip