[Haskell-cafe] Announce: ghc-core, command line pager for reading GHC Core

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Fri May 23 16:15:38 EDT 2008

Hello Duncan,

Friday, May 23, 2008, 11:55:57 PM, you wrote:

>> > me too. btw, this already present in jhc. inlining doesn't work in any
>> > complex case since recursive functions can't be inlined
>>
>> GHC inlines recursive functions, too, otherwise it could not turn 'foldl'
>> and friends into plain machine loops.

> As I understand it, if foldl was written in the standard directly way
> then ghc would not inline it

well, i'm not a True GHC Hacker ;)  but i was bitten by this problem
in 6.4. i had a lot of SPECIALIZE pragmas in Streams library exactly
because INLINE doesn't help. actually, it even does things worser by
disabling some other form of optimization, i don't remember which one

i have proposal of inlining even recursive functions just for one
level of recursion in order to allow to call here specialized version
of function. what GHC HQ will say?

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com