[Haskell-cafe] Announce: ghc-core, command line pager for reading GHC Core

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Fri May 23 16:15:38 EDT 2008

Hello Duncan,

Friday, May 23, 2008, 11:55:57 PM, you wrote:

>> > me too. btw, this already present in jhc. inlining doesn't work in any
>> > complex case since recursive functions can't be inlined
>> GHC inlines recursive functions, too, otherwise it could not turn 'foldl'
>> and friends into plain machine loops.

> As I understand it, if foldl was written in the standard directly way
> then ghc would not inline it

well, i'm not a True GHC Hacker ;)  but i was bitten by this problem
in 6.4. i had a lot of SPECIALIZE pragmas in Streams library exactly
because INLINE doesn't help. actually, it even does things worser by
disabling some other form of optimization, i don't remember which one

i have proposal of inlining even recursive functions just for one
level of recursion in order to allow to call here specialized version
of function. what GHC HQ will say?

Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com